Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Power Made Perfect in Weakness

"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore- I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Image result for 2 corinthians 12:9

It is so against my human nature to rejoice in my own weakness. To highlight the ways I am unable to do things seems so foreign. Usually, my inclination is to hide those weaknesses and highlight the things that I excel in.

This verse has been my reminder over the last couple of weeks. Isn't it beautiful how certain parts of scripture captivate the heart as the Lord reveals it to you?

On Thursday of the week I returned to work, I had a rough day. From the moment my feet hit the floor, it was a challenge. We woke up late to start things out. It was one of those mornings where it felt like every minute had been shortened. I was racing to get ready and Lydia was getting hungry. She lets us know big time when she is hungry! Her screams were getting louder with every passing minute. I had strong surges of guilt run through me as I tried to lay her down in her bouncy seat just to get myself dressed. She screamed harder and louder. I glanced at the clock. It was 20 minutes past when I had aimed to leave but 40 minutes past when she was due to eat. I felt like a failure as a realized I was not meeting my daughter's most basic need and I was about to drive off and be away from her for hours. I ran to the kitchen, made her a bottle, and sat on the living room floor to feed her and wept. Paul came to relieve me but at that point, I couldn't stop the tears. I got ready in blurred vision.

 On the way to work I thought, "All that I have to give right now still isn't enough". My attitude was negative all day as I focused on all the ways I fall short. I'm unorganized, scatterbrained, bad manager of my time, emotional, the list goes on. The enemy was attacking all day long and I was letting it happen.

On my drive home in the afternoon, I FINALLY decided to pray about it. My heart had been so hard all day and I was clinging to that. My sinful heart wanted to be angry and I wanted to feel sorry for myself.

I began by ringing off things I was thankful for. "I thank You for this day." Was I being truthful? I examined the statement. I listed reasons why I was thankful for this challenging Thursday. "Breath in my lungs, a healthy daughter, a loving husband, food to eat, a career...." finally my soul was hit hard. Tears stung my eyes. I realized I was thankful for that day because I was forced to come to the end of myself. I HAD to rely on God. I did not have the false sense of security in my own abilities that I usually have. I did all I could in my own human strength and failed. God was glorified in my realization that I am not strong enough, only HE is. I was forced to examine myself and recognize my desperate need for GRACE.

I am so thankful for my weaknesses. This has been my heart's cry every day when I feel that I am not enough. It is because I truly am not enough on my own. I am so thankful for that reminder. I am a sinner. I need a Savior. His grace is sufficient. Thank you, Jesus!



2 comments:

  1. Tori having a new baby is not an easy task. Having been a working Mom leaving my daughter in tears. Crying for me and me driving with tears in my eyes. Having a baby that seemed to never sleep for the first two years. You do the best you can. God knows your heart. I am so proud of you and I love you more than I can say. Blessed to be your Grandmother

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautifully written and so heartfelt. You have such insight into yourself and your love for the Lord at such a young age. (I'm a tad bit little older than you!)
    Grace has been a word that I've depended on for a long time now. Every night I go into work (for 28 years! at Children's Hospital) my feelings of weakness soar. Every time! I truly believe that one of the reasons God led me to this job at this place was to learn to trust in HIS strength alone, not my own.
    My wisdom, compassion, and strength would NEVER be enough to care for these children and their families in some of the situations they are dealing with.
    Your little Lydia is so blessed to have a mother who knows where her true strength comes from.
    May the grace of our loving Father always hold you close to Him.
    Thanks for sharing your heart.
    Barb Henry (I know your beautiful mother and I hope to get to know you sometime soon!)

    ReplyDelete